Title: Dark Nights: Metal: Dark Knights Rising
Author: Peter J. Tomasi (Author), Grant Morrison, James Tynion IV, Tyler Kirkham, Ethan Van Sciver, Dan Abnett (Illustrator), Frank Tieri (Illustrator), Carmine Di Giandomenico (Illustrator), Tony Daniel (Illustrator), Ricardo Federici (Illustrator), Francis Manapul (Illustrator), Philip Tan (Illustrator), Riley Rossmo (Illustrator)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Barbatos rules the Dark. If Batman can rid of the Light, Barbatos has promised to bring Bruce Wayne’s parents back.
The truth is, we’re only here because the world was dark enough to dream us into existence. Because deep down, it needed us. To protect them from themselves.
Batman has multiple personality disorder in this event:
- Flash Batman “Red Death”: stole his reality’s Speed Force from The Flash (one of my favorite superheroes and I would want his super power).
- Cyborg Batman “The Murder Machine”: bent on killing everyone with the many Alfred clones.
- Joker Batman “The Man Who Laughs”: never taking anything seriously and always the last word. The evil mastermind of the group.
- Green Lantern Batman “Dawnbreaker”: set on destroying the man who killed his parents. He quickly becomes a hero until his willingness to kill takes over.
- Aquaman Batman “The Drowned”: a female sea creature.
- Wonder Woman Batman “The Merciless”: vows to kill Ares and destroy his helmet, but ends up choosing himself as a god and wears the helmet.
- Doomsday Batman “The Devastator”: monster who thinks that Superman is the problem.
No one is beyond saving.
The Joker plans to make something out of the best traits of both himself and Batman. When Batman killed the Joker, a new strain of Nanotoxic was released from the dead body. This virus makes the victims more like the Joker. Whoever killed the Joker, would become him.
The Laughing Batman (aka the Joker Batman) is the ringleader of this big circus. So why are all of the other Batmans following his lead? They believe that helping will make them heros (how easily misguided they were). The world is dying. Detective Chimp is on the case. Will he be able to solve the crime before it is too late?
I wanted to love this. I really did. And I really like that the “Dark Knights” were versions of other DC heros we have come to love over the years. I’m kind of lost about why Detective Chimp has a role, really. But then again, I’m not a big fan of monkeys. It had me loving it until the last 50 pages. 😦
The expected publication date is June 26, 2018.