Recipe: Banana Cake for the Typical 20-Something-Year-Old Grandma
Vendor: Yours Truly!
Calories: Who cares!
Time: 1 hr 30 min (15 min prep)
Rating: ★★★★★ (I’m biased, but also from what I hear)
Banana Cake Ingredients
- 3 – 5 fresh bananas
- 1 lemon
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Grease and flour 9 x 13 cake pan (The easiest thing I found was to use Crisco sticks).
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas and juice from one lemon together (I found the back of a fork if the most effective way).
- In a different medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar (this works best with a KitchenAid mixer).
- Continuing in the large bowl, beat in eggs one at a time.
- Pour vanilla into large bowl.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk into large bowl.
- Add bananas into large bowl.
- Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake for about an hour and a half (so long, but so worth it!). Time may very by oven. Usually when you can really smell it, it’s done. Use a fork to test the middle. It is done when the fork comes out clean.
- Let cake cool overnight (if you bake it after dinner).
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- Cream butter and cream cheese together (again, KitchenAid mixer works best).
- Pour in vanilla.
- Beat in powdered sugar on low speed (otherwise it explodes everywhere!)
LAST STEP: ENJOY!